Slide Rule Info
All About SRs
Slide Rule Fun
About the OS
The Oughtred Society was founded in 1991 by a group of slide rule collectors and
is dedicated to the preservation and history of slide rules and other
calculating instruments. In the past 22 years it has evolved to an
international organization with members in 22 countries. It is noted for its
Journal of the Oughtred Society, published twice annually.
Calendar of Events
- Oughtred Society Winter Meeting
March 1, 2014 - REGISTER NOW!
The Oughtred Society Winter Meeting will be held in Las Vegas at the Atomic Testing
Museum on March 1, 2014. Cost is only $35. The host hotel is the Baymont Inn and Suites a few blocks from the museum and the OS has a group rate of $54/night.
The meeting will feature The meeting will feature presentations by Prof. Dr. Bernard Zygelman of UNLV on John Napier and his Discovery of Logarithms, Prof. Joe Pasquale of UCSD with his excellent Slide Rule Seminar, and Richard Smith Hughes discussing specialty slide rules.
Those talks, plus Mike Konshak's wonderful display as well as other displays and the traditional auction
will highlight the meeting. Optional meals together, other events, and housing options will be announced later.
Please register for the meeting now so that we will have some idea of how many people
will need to be accommodated. We expect this to be a very-well attended session. If something unforeseen
occurs, you will be able to cancel your registration and receive a refund up to February 15. Thanks.
See Details and Registration. and REGISTER NOW!
The Oughtred Society 2013 Hall of Fame.
The Oughtred Society is pleased to announce that Clark McCoy (USA) has been given the
2013 Oughtred Award..Five Fellowships were also given: Klaus Krämer (Germany), Gonzalo Martin (France),Willy Robbrecht (Belgium), Carl Strange (USA), and
Marc Thomas (France).
Beginner's Guide to Collecting Slide Rules (1.54Mb PDF)
is a new publication on this website.
It contains the following chapters:
- Why collect slide rules?
- What slide rules to collect?
- What makes a slide rule valuable?
- Where to buy slide rules?
- How to find more information about slide rules?
- Slide rules that are popular with collectors.
The last chapter is a list of 97 suggested slide
rules in 4 categories -- Inexpensive, Medium
priced, Higher priced, Highest priced.
Thumbnail images appear in the 4 categories
above and are clickable to view a detailed image
with description for each rule.
Beginners Guide was created by Ted Hume and
Classic Slide Rules is a new addition to this
website, a collection of slide rules in four classic
categories – Historic Design, Most Popular, Top
of the Line or Scarcest, and Specialty.
Images and descriptive information are provided
for each of the 147 rules in the collection. We
welcome your comments and suggestions.
Classic Slide Rules was created by Ted Hume
and Rod Lovett.
2013 Membership Renewal! If you have not already renewed your Oughtred Society membership please do so. Membership is on a calendar year basis, i.e. January 1st through December 31. If you renew now you will receive both the Spring and Fall issues of the Journal.
Rarities Gallery - Check out the new gallery in the menu which has rare examples of slide rules belonging
to members of the Oughtred Society.
- The Spring 2014 (Vol 23.1) Journal will contain the following articles and more:
- B47 Slide Rule by Bill Robinson
- Chisel Cursors by Clay Castleberry
- Clark & Company by Tom Wyman
- Combined Slide Rules by Panagiotis Venetsianos
- HP Commemorative Calculators by Otto van Poelje
- Moinot's Stadia by Richard Hughes
- Paper Excise Rule by Tom Wyman
- Station Pointer by Robert Sauer
- UNIS - France: A collective Trade Mark by Panagiotis Venetsianos
- Writing - My Take by Tom Wyman
- Recent books on slide rules are:
More details on the Resources Page.
- Joint Slide Rules, by Peter Hopp
- Pocket Watch Slide Rules, by Peter Hopp
- Otis King Calculators, a History of Production 1920-1977, by Colin Barnes and Tedford White
- Rechenschieber-Slide Rules, A.W.Faber, A.W.Faber-Castell, by Peter Holland.
Request for Articles
for 2014 Journals. Be a contributing author and share your knowledge and interests.
For ideas and inspiration, read
"Yes, You Can Write for the Journal of the Oughtred Society" (82KB pdf).
Current Journal of the Oughtred Society
Cover, Table Of Contents, Sample page
Sample Articles from the Journal of the Oughtred
Society. The Oughtred Society is pleased to present .five articles from
past issues of the Journal. Links forthcoming. See NEWS ARCHIVES.
JOS Plus is the website location
where supplemental material appears for articles
in the Journal of the Oughtred Society. View these supplemental materials by going to
- NEWS ARCHIVES - Past announcements and news.
Publications of the Oughtred Society
Calculating With Tones
K&E Slide Rule History
Slide Rule Reference Manual
Pocketbook of Gauge Marks